Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Poblano

Location: 5850 Sunset Dr., South Miami
t: 305.740.9087
Cuisine type: Mexican to Tex-Mex
Price: Moderately priced
Hours: m.closed, t-th&su.11:30am-9pm, f-s.11:30am-11pm

Give this place your patronage.

I am probably getting a jump on most of your usual restaurant review sources with this one. Poblano, has become a part of my restaurant repertoire, and quite frankly my Mexican restaurant of choice, thus far. It's a family run operation. The family is always on hand and seems to champion the ever elusive concept that the sole function of any business is to make their customers happy. They are quick to satiate my craving for enchiladas in mole even though it is nowhere to be found on the menu. This symbolism merits mention because, one I get what I want, and two my parting point for all the Mexican restaurants I judge is the mole. That said the mole at Poblano is good, honestly it's very good, the best I have had in Miami. I warn you though it's spicy, so like me you'll probably use that as an excuse to wash it down with 4 or 6 beers.

I know you will like the place the moment they serve you their rendition of chips and salsa. The other day I tried their fajitas and loved them, I can think of only two places that top them and they're both in Texas. However, don't expect the fajitas to be accompanied by extra fixings like sour cream and shredded cheese; these are in the nude without embellishments, in all their glory. Though, believe me when I tell you that you won't miss the accompaniments.

They are open for both lunch and dinner every day, closing on Mondays. Lunchtime is distinguishable from dinner in that they serve several specials at lunch time prices. This might probably be a good time to mention that Poblano is moderately priced, maybe even verging on expensive, depending on your relativity factor. Appetizers range from $6 to $10, and entrees average about $18.

The decor goes a long way in adding to the positive experience. Furniture pieces like the mirror at the entrance and the old Mexican doors, turned partitions, abutting the bar area look like objects I'd like to have in my home, thus the plot I'm devising for a favorable relocation of the mirror in the men's bathroom. The reason why I even mention these things, and I know just about now you've started to ask yourself that precise question, is because they add to the overall ambiance. Even the art work makes you feel at ease.

So call up some friends, rendezvous at Poblano, order a few beers (I like the Negra Modelo) or the cucumber lemonade, let the chef do the work, and amuse yourself with the notion that there is no place you'd rather be.

Oh yeah and if you try the Gruyere cheese soup with tequila or the Margaritas made with wine before I do, let me know what you thought.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the phone number is actually 305.740.9087

Andres said...

Thank you, I will change it right away.

Anonymous said...

The margaritas are AMAZING (and I never use caps...)
The fish tacos were mediocre, but not bad.
I echo the raves for the mole: so damn good I had to resist licking the plate.

Anonymous said...

This place is great! Extremely authentic dishes with a hint of new flare. The atmosphere is cozy and relaxed. I've been here several times and can't get tired of it.

Anonymous said...

This place is awesome. The Poblano chile relleno is delicious.